Sunday, February 8, 2015

3 Benefits of Chanting to Master Your Mind



As some of you know, I have chosen the month of February 2015 to chant to master my mind. I am using the PowerPrayer from the post of February 4th every time I chant. And I can really see the results. 

So far I see 3 Major Benefits of Chanting to Master My Mind: 

1. Clarity of purpose. 
2. Better Organizational Skills.
3. Increased Energy and Vibrancy. 

How does this show up in my life? 
In my 30 years of practice,  I've heard about mastering the mind, but I've never really chanted about it. For one thing, I thought if I mastered my mind I would lose my spontaneity, my spark, my Jamie-ness. I thought I would become, well, boring. Impossible! Right? 
Occasionally I'd get guidance that stressed NOT to follow what my mind dictates, and I struggled to understand what that meant. If I master my mind, who AM I? 
Now I'm seeing the answers. 

This week was a spectacular one from a business standpoint. Lately, I am doing public speaking almost every week. I present a speech I created called: 
Growing Bolder. 
Tools and Techniques for Thriving at Every Age. 
I present the latest research 
that shows that life GETS BETTER as we age...
and the more aware we are of this, 
the better we usher in 
our own happiness and fulfillment at ANY age. 
I talk about the value of using our words not just to describe our lives, but to PREDICT our course in life
Our words determine our experience. Think of the difference between using the word "Overwhelmed" in which we are victims, and the phrase "In Demand" which portrays us an anything BUT victims. 
When we are in demand we are important, and we have choices on where we will put our energy. I ask my audiences "Which would you rather be, a victim, or important?" I give examples of people who made this switch of language, and catapulted themselves to increased success and happiness, both in their personal lives and in their careers. 

Originally, I gained passion and confidence in public speaking by emceeing SGI meetings when I was a youthful Buddha. As I prepared for each and every meeting I chanted that each person who attended would leave the meeting incredibly inspired. I chanted that their cells would rearrange and they would NEVER be the same. 
Just from this one meeting
As a district leader, I continued to chant this way. For years. And I chant this way before every speech. No wonder I am "in demand" as a speaker! 

And, yesterday, owing to the prayer to master my mind, I made huge inroads. I chanted an hour and a half with a member. I finalized the terms of a legal matter. I worked out for the first time in a while (I've been sick this winter) and rediscovered how much my body loves to dance on the treadmill to my favorite tunes. And I started exercising my upper body as well. It's been a while. I feel great. Then I deep cleaned my refrigerator and cleared out a cluttered area in my apartment. Boy does that feel great. Then I spent the evening sharing poetry and song with a friend in faith. Great day!

Today I've already chanted an hour to master my mind. I worked out again. Now I am writing you, and I will spend the afternoon researching and preparing new material for some speeches I've been asked to give on topics I love: How to Make Friends, How to Really Love Ourselves. Looks like another great day! 


3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jamie, for your wonderful blog! I enjoy each and everyone of your posts and feel most encouraged by them. Please keep it up!
    Christine, a Buddhist friend from Europe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I studied Buddhism for several years before discovering this practice through a friend. When I began chanting the only things I chanted for were wisdom, to grasp the truth in life and enlightenment. I learned to chant for the happiness of others. Sometimes I've chanted for more "material" benefit for myself because I was encouraged to do so but my heart was never completely into it. Nonetheless I have received many material benefits, always been protected but for me personally the wisdom and happiness that have developed in my life are the most important. There is one adage from the Dhammapada, a collection of words Shakyamuni spoke which stayed with me over the span of 4 decades. "One man conquers one thousand times one thousand on the battlefield. Another conquers himself. Consider the latter to be nobler." I was happy when years ago I read a guidance from President Ikeda in which he mentioned the Dhammapada.

    Thanks for your wonderful blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you talk about your speech growing bolder?
    Los Chamisos, Santa Fe, NM

    ReplyDelete