Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Our Altar Represents Our Life - Some Observations on Placement




(You can now subscribe to chantforhappiness.com 
by putting your email in the box to the right)
Yesterday's post on altars had some interesting responses. 

One reader emailed that her altar was in her basement - could that be the reason her life was so dark? Interesting, right? 

I can relay to you my personal experiences and observations from 30 years of enshrining and re-enshrining altars - both mine and fellow members. As always, I write from my heart, not as an official SGI representative. 

I can state very clearly that EVERY TIME I have improved my altar, either by moving it, clearing it, dusting it, and lighting it better, there has been a positive impact in my life. 

I have visited people and made suggestions about placement, and they have reported positive consequences that come out of changing locations. 

Here are a few: 

When I first started chanting I was in a tiny apartment in San Francisco. It was essentially a studio with glass doors between the "bedroom" and the living room. The ONLY place for my Gohonzon was in the bedroom. It was here I chanted for a home to raise my children, start my life, and host incredible Buddhist meetings. We moved to a beautiful home on a hill overlooking all of San Francisco and I placed my altar right in the middle of the main wall of the living room. Our lives were very happy there! I had both my children while living in my kosen-rufu home before I decided to move back to the Chicago area to be with my Mom who needed my help. The Gohonzon "my life" was at the center of my life!

When I first moved to the apartment I'm in now, I placed my altar closer to the window and the television at the center of the room. That did not last long! I quickly realized I needed to switch the two and it made a difference in my mood, my spirits, and my environment. 

I had a member whose Gohonzon was very dark, and in a corner. You could barely see it. I suggested a light like the kind I use (from Home Depot) and she was able to quickly make a major life change she'd been chanting about for years. 

I visited a young woman whose altar was on her dresser in front of a window. It felt unprotected and exposed. She was struggling with direction in her life. We moved the dresser against the wall so the butsudan would be more protected. She enrolled in college and is on her way to being a teacher. 

Just think about it. If your altar represents your life, because the Gohonzon IS the mirror for your life...where would the perfect place be for it? Where would you like your brilliant and sparkling life to be? And wouldn't you want it to be lit up! 

If you don't like where it is - chant about it! Make a determination! 

Share your stories with me at chantforhappiness@gmail.com! 



2 comments: