Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Turning Karma Into Mission ~ Every Single Day


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Chanting Daimoku 
is the foundation of the Daishonin's Buddhism. 
When we chant sonorous daimoku (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo)
the sun rises in our hearts. 
We are filled with power. 
Compassion wells forth. 
Our lives are lit with joy. 
Our wisdom shines. 
All Buddhas and Buddhist deities throughout the universe 
go to work on our behalf. 
Life becomes exhilarating. 

Daisaku Ikeda, For Today and Tomorrow, p. 182

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When faced with a life challenge we would NEVER have chosen for ourselves - what do we do? 

How can Practicing Buddhism help? 
What is the REAL power of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo? How can it help in practical terms? 

As you know, my beloved son Ben died this summer from Schizophrenia which caused him to take his own life. 

Every day I am using Buddhism to fuel my life as I transform my personal tragedy into a personal triumph. Or, as we Buddhists say, "Turning Karma into Mission."

Now, I don't know why my karma included this experience of having my son die, but I don't have to know the reason. All I need is the determination to change it into mission. 

Along the way, I have joined a club I never wanted to be a member of - the club no one wants to be a member of, the Suicide Survivor's club. And, as anyone would expect, I am meeting people who are at various stages of the grieving journey. Guilt, sadness, peace...

Because of my practice, I am not tormented like I was right after it happened. At that time, I was wracked with thoughts of what I could have done differently. Even though I knew I'd done my best, I felt like I had failed at my most important mission in life...being a Mom. And I chanted about these thoughts...and I realized they were my own fundamental darkness. I'm a Buddhist! I know I can fight fundamental darkness with my prayer by facing it and saying NO! 

I chanted to alleviate this feeling of guilt and to turn my pain into something I could use to help others. And through chanting, I am free from these tormenting feelings. 

I continue to write to Ben and he writes back to me through my own hand. Life is eternal. This is natural. Have any of you tried this? I can teach you how. Let me know if you are interested. 

Ben has explained everything. He says there is nothing I could have done. And I believe him.

I'm grateful for all I've been through, and all I'm going through right now. I feel a deep connection to Ben...and to all who are suffering. Ben answers my questions. He reassures me in all the things I am doing. And he encourages me daily. 

Because of my daily Buddhist practice, I'm protected. I'm safe, secure, learning about myself, and in an excellent support group of other suicide survivors. It's professionally facilitated and includes a mother whose son died ten years ago, and another whose son died 3 years ago. They share their coping skills with the rest of us. It's a healing process

Thank YOU for your notes. Dear friends, we share the noblest of missions! WhatEVER you are facing - you can turn YOUR karma into mission! We are the votaries of the Lotus Sutra. By chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, reading the words of our mentor Daisaku Ikeda, joining together with our SGI friends, and introducing others to this victorious way of life...we can overcome any challenges! 

6 comments:

  1. I wish to turn debts that are three times my net worth as a mission to financially help others. Chanting has brought me friends who in turn encouraged me to confess my shopping addiction. Every act of integrity is painful but also the inner peace is beyond words. Even now chanting brings me new ideas about financial management.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also had a 40 year old young MD depart thru suicide in December. Sensei mentioned there is a deep meaning of all that happens in our life. Everyone has a mission, even those here or not. We are all connected, mystically related, especially with our daimoku, We all do our best for ourselves and others. WE SGI don't give up NO MATTER WHAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Jamie!!tks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever time I feel down or defeated you post something so uplifting and profound that I feel hopeful. You are the lifeline Jamie . A big thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jamie,
    I am always so encouraged by your posts. Especially because of what you have been through.My salute to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ms. lee. thanks for this guidance. Dr. Coronado

    ReplyDelete