Friday, November 18, 2016

4 Ways to Summon the Heart of the Lion King


Greeting my friends! 
As always, this blog does not represent the SGI officially. I write it to use my life as an example that this practice of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo works. Long time readers know I've been practicing for 32 years, most of that time as a District leader. I raised my two sons as Buddhists. Aaron is in Phoenix in his first year of residency as a med-peds doctor (He can help all ages) and my son Ben died in the summer of 2015 when he was 22. 
I am dedicating the rest of my life to turning poison into medicine and creating value from his life...and death. Just this week the non-profit organization called HOPE FOR THE DAY sent my book to the publisher. It's called "OUR FOREVER BEN, One Mom's Letters to her son-in-spirit, and his poetic replies. In a few weeks, I fly to Chicago for book signings, and the book will be available on Amazon. 

Today I'd like to share a passage from the New Human Revolution by Daisaku Ikeda:

'Lion' in "lion king" is written with the Chinese characters for teacher and child, representing mentor and disciple. In other words, when disciples align their spirit with their mentor and stand up with the  same commitment, they can summon forth the bold and fearless heart of the lion king within them. 

"Each day I tell myself: "As a disciple of President Toda I will respond to his aspirations! I will create a record of kosen-rufu that would make him proud!" By doing so, no matter what difficulty I may encounter, I can bring forth the courage to never be disheartened. 

"Those who always remember their mentor's spirit in their heart, who always are living together with their mentor, will never stray from the correct path in life, the path to happiness. When we live with our mentor in our heart we cannot allow ourselves to be cowardly or lazy; we are spurred to be courageous, challenge ourselves and cast aside our arrogance. We may be able to deceive others, but not the mentor in our hearts. 

...It is important, therefore, that when we are facing a challenging situation, we always think deeply about what our mentor would have done or said."

From the New Human Revolution, By Daisaku Ikeda, Volume 26, Chapter 4, installments 51-67, as written in the April 2015 Living Buddhism, page 39.

Today I'm driving to the Florida Nature Culture Center for the Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra conference. I'm looking forward to spending time in the exhibit hall dedicated to President Ikeda. I could have spent all day there on my last visit. Kate Randolph is coming from LA to join me at the conference. 

As I am here, in my new chosen home of Florida I continually ask myself "What would President Ikeda do?"

I chant to see the world through Daisaku Ikeda's eyes, and to feel with his heart....and most of all...to chant with his same strength...to somehow reach into the lives of all beings suffering anywhere ...anywhere...and have my daimoku touch the entire fabric of life. I don't know if that is what Sensei has in mind when he chants, but one day, if I ever have the chance to sit and chat with him, that is what I would ask him. "When you chant, what do you think about? How do you encompass the whole world in your prayers? And how can I do the same?" In the meantime, I chant to align my prayer with his. 


Here are 3 Ways to Summon the Heart of the Lion King: 
By Jamie Lee Silver from Chantforhappiness.com

1. Practice consistently  - every morning and evening. I know, I know, I say this all the time, and there's a reason for it. When you're chanting consistently, your life condition is higher and more resilient. You'll still have problems, because life is full of hardships, but you'll greet them with an invigorated heart! 
Please don't believe me when I say this - if you aren't already doing this, try it. Do the 100 day Gongyo Challenge with us! Start anytime. Readers of this blog are challenging themselves to do the most perfect gongyo possible every day, twice a day for 100 days. Join us! (Of course the goal is then to continue for the rest of their lives, but it's nice to start somewhere~)

2. Study Daisaku Ikeda's writings and the Gosho every day...even a single line. Early in my practice I engraved the phrase "Suffer what there is to suffer and enjoy what there is to enjoy" into my life. 

3. As you are chanting express your determination. Tell your life what you want. Do not beg! Draw the power of your own life through your prayer. I picture all the power of the universe behind me...coming through my back, into my hands, into the Gohonzon, and channelled to fulfill my prayers, for myself and for others...my family...my friends...my fellow members...my colleagues...and YOU! 
Chant in appreciation. Dedicate your life to Kosen-rufu! 

4. Be part of our incredible Soka Gakkai organization. There are such riches there...so many friendships...such inspiration and strong determination. Whenever you go to a meeting you get encouragement and encourage others by sharing your own struggles and victories. We are all building the heart of the lion king together! Go to SGI-USA.org 

3 comments:

  1. Great & informative blog on true and correct Buddhism! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience in practising this Wonderful Law of Lotus. I am 45 years Singaporean Chinese and practised 20 years old.

    For other readers:
    A quote from the Wonderful Law of Lotus Sutra chapter two: "“Shariputra, you and the others should with a single mind believe and accept the words of the Buddha. The words of the buddhas, the thus come ones, are not empty or false. There is no other vehicle, there is only the one buddha vehicle.”

    The one Buddha vehicle refers to Buddha Shakyamuni's final and highest teaching -Wonderful Law of Lotus Sutra.

    www.nichirenlibrary.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie,

    I just stumbled on your blog when looking up something on chanting out loud vs chanting to yourself for one of my members who asked that questing at Tuesday's discussion meeting. I have sent her your article. Now I have a question for you in regarding how you handled the death of your son. I'm hoping I stumbled here for a reason.

    My name is Corry Kingsbury. I have been practicing for almost 45 years. I am a WD unit chief in Northrige, ca. Since I have been practicing I never doubted the practice when someone had passed away until two years ago and worse in the past two months.

    It started when our MD District Leader passed away two years ago after we thought had recovered from a tear in the aorta in his side. He lived a year after it happened. I was able to come to terms with his death. However, this past September my former WD area leader who I was very close to passed away from Cancer even though she was in remission from stomach cancer it came back into esophagus cancer and I don't understand why she couldn't have changed it when it says that Nam ho renge Kyo is like the Roar of a lion there for what sickness cannot be cured. I have spoken to a sr. In faith, chanted about it yet I still have doubts now and feel like why should I continue when my friend of 40 years could not overcome this illness when she told me the last we spoke before she died, I'm not going to die from this. Her practice was so strong and still she was not able to change this so how can I do the same when I feel right now that I could not even fight my way out of a paper bag. Thank you in advance.

    Corry

    ReplyDelete